Start a new topic

Do you have a few minutes to give us an update on the Touch 2.0?

So, how is final production going for the Touch 2.0? 

Or, have you been making more prototypes for testing? 

Have there been feature additions or losses for the final production model?

And, do you have an idea of the estimated lifespan of the Touch 2.0, or a goal?

Thanks for your time.

Michael

thinking about to preorder but this forum makes me a bit nervous !  is this Project alive ? 

Yes, I don't believe there is anything to worry about for the following...

a.) It's a small team

b.) they addressed some issues with the first model through software updates

c.) the increased sensitivity should (hopefully) address any issues with ghost notes that some had reported

d.) this is the most customizable control interface (with MPE) that I have come across... with the ability to create a layout with your own sounds, chords, sequences, effects, etc etc... all in the perfect layout for your set. Think of creating a piano where it's impossible to hit a wrong note AND still have pitchbend, or pad, or drum kit. 

Understanding the device doesn't seem difficult at all, but I do believe getting the most out of the device will take time. Going from a regular mouse to a trackball mouse is a problem for many, and some people simply can't get the hang of a trackball mouse over a normal one, ever. Some find a bass easy to play, but struggle with a guitar. Some find so much expression in a piano key, while others like me are banging away, and hitting the wrong key regularly. 

There's no guarantee this is the right controller for you, or me. But, the hope is that the 2.0 is the controller I've been wishing existed since the 80's. That's a high hope. But, with what I have already seen... this is the closest anyone has come to that idea, that ideal that I have in my head. There have been customizable controllers before. I own a few. I missed out getting the first model. 

I'm glad I got my preorder in. It's up to me to find the best way to add it to my workflow... and not really sure what that's going to look like at all. So, if you are like me and ready to experiment... GET IT. If you have the piano skills of Diana Krall or Duke Ellington, or drums skills like Biddy Rich or Max Roach... you don't NEED this... but how much MORE could someone like that do with that much more control? 

Yeah... borrow from someone and buy before the price goes up. Or, buy one later for more.

Michael

Buddy Rich... ugh... my typing skills are like my piano skills.

Hello Michael,

Thank you for your explanation. I'm just being cautious because I've lost quite a bit of money on Kickstarter projects before, or the product didn't match what was promised. Only the GR-1 from Tasty Chips was a huge joy. The ERAE 2 looks fantastic and would fit perfectly into my live show. I've already checked out the editor to get a feel for it. Initially, it seems simple and a bit rudimentary, but I see that as a positive. Over the past few years, I've gone through nearly all controllers and spent a lot of time with Lemur and iPad. None of that was really good, to be honest—reliability is everything for live shows. The ERAE 2 feels like the most innovative thing I've seen so far, especially with MPE, but I still need to find out if it's suitable for live performances. I'll go ahead and preorder it now and hope for the best.

I think I've seen Fred Again using it live, but I can't remember the video. Delaurentis (sp?) is another. Maybe me one day... if I can find the right obnoxiously large LED headgear/mask (with built-in AR) so I can touch the air to modulate and touch the Touch to play. A dream setup...

The Touch 2.0 is my first real MPE controller. I'm looking forward to trying out two things first... the Cherry Audio CX-80 plugin has MPE (Blade Runner, Chariots of Fire, 80's synth nirvana) and this thing called Tomofon which allows you to upload any audio and have the software create an 88 key synth based on whatever your audio is... with layers of resonance and all sorts of effects that can be applied separately across different notes, plus MPE! Ummm... That's a plan to create an 'original sound,' right? Mind exploding with creative ideas... 

On a side note, I still get a ton of use out of my MASCHINE JAM, which is another controller that's been discontinued. But, it wasn't a popular controller... used now they are often more expensive than when they were new, but if you come across one I recommend it as a different kind of controller. I love the touch strips, the large 8x8 keypad is a great for many reasons, and I find it the best way to interact with MASCHINE software... I like it much better than a standalone MASCHINE+, but the glaring loss is NO VELOCITY on the keypad. 

The Touch will hopefully completely solve that issue for me.

I actually want more than one... I want one for hardware and one (or more) for software. I ain't got that scratchy scratch, tho... 

check the kickstarter page. they put an update there.

Login or Signup to post a comment