Start a new topic

Unwanted midi articulations (doubles etc)

Is it just me or is everyone getting double midi notes with their Erae Touch?

If I use a pad controller, this does not happen. 

With Erae Touch, there are always unwanted midi articulations. I've tried calibrating automatically and manually, following all that's in the manual, to no avail. 

Just wondering if that's just how this Erae Touch is and we have to live with it? 

There doesn't seem to be anything physically wrong with it hence why I'm starting to think this is normal behavior with the Touch

On my side, device, in its effort to be both mpe and drum pad, does indeed show double midi notes during playing with sticks... drumming with fingers (instead of drum sticks) in my case help. There are few occasional double notes.

When I'm using a device for playing synths and sampled instruments its great (sensitivity range can be set to default  0-100)
But if I would switch to drum layout and use sticks I find that I'd want to raise sensitivity range to 5-100 or even more. 

Given that sensitivity cannot possible be same for all styles of playing, I notice that, since I'm not a pro drummer (with sticks), that its more down to way I attack the surface of erae. if the sticks fall more vertical then horizontal (using the very tip of a stick) makes also way less double notes.

I've done some more testing with this. In my case drumming with fingers does not reproduce any double notes. 
You can see in the video clip recorded that i have a really good control with fingers. I am not good with sticks enough to reproduce similar example. But i can confirm that my wooden (5b hickory) sticks are creating a sort of "initial  hit" rebound on erae surface and quite often creating those double notes. This,  contrary to what i thought, is NOT "solvable" with sensitivity slider. The device is simply doing what is told. And my hands and sticks just don't have that control. When hitting the surface i must make sure to hit it so briefly and lift a stick always in order not to produce double notes. If i try to leave the stick "longer" on the surface during the hits, it will always rebound couple of times before settling. I'm really starting to understand that this must be due to several factors:

1. my poor sticks playing (i have a lazy hand :) or just plain dont know how to play with sticks.
2. wooden sticks tend to rebound couple of times (and you only expect it once)

What could help is softer sticks made from a different material that wont rebound as much or
a software algorithm (for drum layouts) where we could adjust and compensate for this effect.

(akin to what e-drums modules are doing with interpreting hits to piezo.  This video on youtube is demonstrating something like that in their software. I know its not the same technology and all. just giving example.)

mp4
(3.38 MB)
Login or Signup to post a comment